Please note...

This blog is not meant to slam any of his previous owners. (We have found out for ourselves how tough it can be to get him to eat.) All of us have the horses we sold for one reason or another. We wish we knew what happened to them. We hope that they ended up in a field full of grass with kids to love on them. We would like that to be true for at least one old man. Feel free to comment!

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

"Internalized Stress"




The OO told us that he "internalized stress" and often didn't eat when moved so we were eager to see how he handled this change and to make sure he actually ate.
Sure enough he ate everything we gave him. He put out in an individual paddock but was much more interested in socializing and looking at anything and everything then actually eating.

Unfortunately there isn't much grass in their paddocks so I took him out those first few days and just walked with him. For a while he would graze, and he lulled us into thinking that there was a possibility that he would keep doing that so we unhooked his lead rope and he immediatly took off at a quick march to the open gate out that leads out to the road, ears pricked at attention. I had to jog to catch up and imprison him again.
I did a little research on my big boy. I'll go ahead and put all of his real information considering at his age I'm sure that he has touched a lot of lives, I would love to find some more info about him. Here is what I have so far.

Name: Heristol aka Harry
Born: Jan. 22 1980
Black w/ medium star and crown over S brand on left hip (now faded)
Imported from Sweden.
He is a registered Swedish Warmblood, and he's also registered with USDF, USEF, and has an FEI passport.

He was also still competing at 4th level in recognized shows under Julie Berry as of 2003.

Sire: Herkules 504- Many placings in FEI dressage; World Cup Toronto-1986, Olympic Games, Seoul-1988 Premium A stallion with 10 approved sons. I have his topside registration going back at least 12 generations so that's no problem. He looks just like him I think.


Dam: Aloett by Wilmorence- I have no clue about this mare or her sire and would love more info.

What I would like more than anything is to see some pictures of him in his prime. I imagine that he was quite a looker (as he still is), and would love to see.

1 comment:

RFW said...

I don't know if this blog is still up and being looked at or whatever :) But I ran into the by sheer accident. I knew Harry many years ago when his first owner bought him from Linda Zang... actually, his owner saw him in Sweden when she was shopping with Linda. CK (the first owner) had trained him all the way to GP and had him for at least 15 years or more. I did a portrait of Harry once - CK commissioned me for one and I rode him once or twice. (I was into dressage back in my riding days.) He was a grand one, all right, well cared for and loved. Apparently after CK sold him, Harry somehow ended up at a not so good place until you got him. It was really nice seeing those pictures of him.. kind of like seeing an old friend. I still keep in touch with his first owner, CK and she is on my facebook list. I may send her this link - I know she will want to know how he's doing these days. And I hope the two of you somehow, someway, get in touch. She now lives in Arizona and has been for the past ten years. She was a very well known dressage rider and trainer when she resided in OK. She also used to train with Sarah Hall (one of Linda Zang's former students).